Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

E. Modrell, My Soc. Sec. Number is; 478-36-7619, My Email

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
My name is***** My Soc. Sec. Number is;###-##-#### ***** Email Add. is:***@******.***, My Telephone Number is:(###) ###-####
I just received my 3 recorded message from the IRS this month saying that I owe money to the IRS and if I do not call them back at #***-***-**** or, if they do not hear from my attorney on my behalf, that I will be facing a stiff fine and prison time!
I had contacted the IRS by phone after I received my first call and I was told to just ignore these calls because the IRS does not use the telephone for this type of business! When I received the 2nd call, I hung up on them ! This 3rd caller said he is an attorney for the IRS and that Iam facing some dire circumstances if I do not get this matter taken care of and to be sure to call them back immediately!
WOULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME, iAM GETTING RATHER NERVIOUS ABOUT THIS! PLEASE, I WILL BE 79 YEARS OLD NEXT MONTH, TOO OLD TO GO TO PRISON!
Sincerely Yours,*****
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with this question.

This is a SCAM. The IRS would not make initial calls to request money.

The IRS would send notices explaining why you owed additional funds. I am sorry that you are receiving the calls.

Give me a minute and I will find where you can report these calls.

You receive a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS but you suspect they are not an IRS employee ...

1. Record the employee's name, badge number, call back number and caller ID if available.
  2. Call 1-***-***-**** to determine if the caller is an IRS employee with a legitimate need to contact you.
    • If the person calling you is an IRS employee, call them back.
    • If not, report the incident to TIGTA and to us at *****@******.*** (Subject: 'IRS Phone Scam')

Anytime that the IRS contacts you by phone the revenue officer or agent must provide you with their badge number.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Pleas let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification. I am Happy to help.

Here is a link to the IRS regarding this type of scam.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/report-phishing

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dear Sir, I was told by JustAnswer that they could not find the information I had sent in to them. I had not received any information at all pertaining to my situation. I call my Master Card to see if there had been any charges to my card, and I was told that justanswer had submitted a total of $54.00 in charges! Since I was told by JustAnswer had not received my information, I had not received any information from anyone about my situation so, I considered this to be a charge for services that I had not received and therefore not owed by me! Master Card immediately cancelled my card number and they had started the process to inform JustAnswer that the $54.00 in charges were not legal!
Regnar E Modrell

Mr. Modrell, I did post a reply to your question shortly after you posted. Please see above. Unfortunately I have no control over the charges. You would need to contact customer service.