Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I have a tax lien against me. I'm planning on opening a real

Customer Question

I have a tax lien against me. I'm planning on opening a real estate brokerage. I'm wondering if when a commission is paid to my brokerage will the IRS attach it? That would look really ugly and embarrassing to me and my clients.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

A federal tax lien is the government’s legal claim against your property when you neglect or fail to pay a tax debt. The lien protects the government’s interest in all your property, including real estate, personal property and financial assets.

A lien is not a levy. A lien secures the government’s interest in your property when you don’t pay your tax debt. A levy actually takes the property to pay the tax debt. If you don’t pay or make arrangements to settle your tax debt, the IRS can levy, seize and sell any type of real or personal property that you own or have an interest in.

If you are in a payment agreement the IRS does not take collection action, such as a levy.

As long as you are current in the payments to pay your debt they will not attach the commissions.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

Checking to see how you responded