Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I could not sell home in 2008 so rented it since we bought

Customer Question

I could not sell home in 2008 so rented it since we bought hte home in 1994 we just sold in 2016 we put $150000 in improvements from 1994 to 2006 and sold the house at loss. But I can not find veification recits from that far bak or canceled checks. What can I do ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You may want to contact your bank to see if they have any copies of your old bank statements/cancelled checks. You may also want to check your tax returns for those years. You may have saved the receipts with each year's tax return when the improvements were made.

If you are not successful in finding any documentation, you will take the chance that in the event of an audit, the IRS will disallow that portion of your calculation.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb