Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

After purchasing my vehicle in NC I failed to pay the

Customer Question

After purchasing my vehicle in NC I failed to pay the property tax on time and the registration expired. What do I need to do to register it?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I would be happy to help you with your questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so what do I need to do to get my vehicle registered after the temporary tag has expired?

You have two options. You could complete the registration process in person or through the mail. Here are a list of documents that will be needed.

• Your valid North Carolina driver's license or ID card.
  • Acceptable proof of insurance.
  • A notarized vehicle title. If a lienholder has your vehicle title, present your current out-of-state registration and odometer reading. If there are co-owners to the vehicle, all necessary documents must be presented or filled out for both owners.
  • A lien release (if applicable).
  • The following completed forms:
    Title Application (Form MVR-1).
    Declaration of Eligible Risk (Form MVR-615).
    Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MVR-181).
    Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form MVR-180) (for vehicles less than 10 years old).
  • The bill of sale.
  • Cash, check, or money order for the $36 plate fee, plus all other state taxes (see below for a list of all possible fees and taxes).

Here is the address if you want to complete the process by mail:

Vehicle Titles/Liens, Duplicate Registration
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699

Please let me know if you have any more questions or need clarification.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where can I obtain the bill of sale? If I do it by mail how will I get the motorized title back?

If you complete the process by mail you would want to send copies of the documents. The DMV requires that some of the copies be notarized. Who did you purchase your car from?

You would not want to send originals. There is a good chance the forms could get lost and a better chance that they would not be returned.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I purchased it from triad auto solutions in Greensboro nc

They should be able to provide you a copy of the bill of sale if you do not have it. It would be the document that has the purchase price, taxes, and financing information etc.

It is usually 2 to 3 pages on legal size paper.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

I will be stepping away from the computer for a few minutes. I will respond to any questions as soon as I get back.