Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Can I run a business in India while I am an a H1B visa? If

Customer Question

Can I run a business in India while I am an a H1B visa? If so, what are the guidelines for tax; should they be declared in US. Any double taxation?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are in the U.S. and on an H-1B visa, you may only work for the business that issued you that visa, and no other business. You may have partial or full ownership of another business--in the U.S., in your home country, wherever--as long as you don't work for those businesses (whether or not you are paid for that work).

You can't do it if you will be performing work on behalf of the foreign company while in the US in H-1B status. It would be unauthorized employment in violation of your status.
See 8 CFR 274a.12(b)(9)

https://www.quora.com/Can-someone-on-H1B-visa-start-a-business-in-his-home-country

https://www.quora.com/Can-an-H1B-visa-holder-start-a-business-in-US-or-own-some-percentage-of-equity-in-a-US-based-startup

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb