Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Client switched from F-1 Visa to O-1 visa in Sept of 2015.

Customer Question

FOR LANEClient switched from F-1 Visa to O-1 visa in Sept of 2015. For past four years she has filed as a resident 1040. Does she still file the same way?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Expert_James replied 9 months ago.

I am not familiar with a Lane in the immigration category. Have you worked with this person on immigration matters?

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

...

Sorry, was in a meeting.

...

Yes, anyone that is a tax resident (and O status wouldn't change this) by virtue of substantial presence (which the cient certainly passes) ... along with US citizens and green card holders, file a 1040.

...

let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

..

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Just for a little context: (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

Resident Alien or Non-Resident Alien for Tax Purposes

The Substantial Presence Test

A resident alien for tax purposes is a person who is a U.S. citizen or a foreign national who meets either the “green card” or “substantial presence” test as described in IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

In general:

• F and J student visa holders are considered resident aliens after five calendar years in the U.S.
  • J researchers and professors are considered resident aliens after two calendar years in the U.S.
  • H-1, TN, and O-1 visa holders are considered resident aliens once they meet the “substantial presence” test.
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Good to hear from you, Russ.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

...

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane