PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

Regarding IRS Form 6166: I have a client who needed a 6166

Customer Question

Regarding IRS Form 6166: I have a client who needed a 6166 form filed to be able to receive money from an employer in a foreign country (France). Is it required to file your tax return for the current year to obtain the 6166? I understand 8802 needs to be filed first before getting a 6166. But will they give you the 6166 for 2016 without your 2015 1040 being filed?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

...

No, although it does require additional informaation in the "penalty of perjury statement" box of the 8802

...

see this from IRS here:https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/form-6166-certification-of-u-s-tax-residency

...

"When the prior year return has not been filed and isn’t yet required, the penalty of perjury statement must address the applicant’s residency status in the prior year, i.e. Taxpayer Name, (TIN) was a U.S. resident for 2008 and will continue to be throughout the current tax year.”

NOTE: This statement is required of all taxpayers in this situation. In some instances, the taxpayer will not have been a resident for the prior year and therefore will only attest to residency status in the current year."

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Did you see my answer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not ask this question...you must have forwarded it to me by error.....MY question deals with form 3115 and it's completion.
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, I just answered the question as it arose ... You'll have to call customer service.

...

(I'll send to the pro mods here too)

...

But we can't (and aren't allowed by Terms of Service) deal with account, pricing, etc kinds of issues.

...

You can get Customer Service the following three ways:

...

JA customer svc

1(###) ###-####/p>

Email | Chat | Phone..

...

If you'd like to ask your 3115 question HERE i can try to help, depending on what you need. We, my firm, won't do a 3115 for less than $500.

...

But if it's just a question ABOUT the 3115 I may be able to answer the question here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lane , I have no problem with your fee quote.Because we haven't done one before, we would be more comfortable Paying someone who has expertise with the form. The company is an air conditioning contractor with no inventory. I presume you will need A/R, A/P ,accruals,etc for 2016 and 2015. Your contact will be Kelly Colletto. My name is***** ph(###) ###-#### We hope to have final numbers in a few weeks. Please advise if you would like the engagement and what records you will need....thank you for your assistance Jon Mazer
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

Thanks John, not able to do it at that price. (was just quoting our minimum for a basic return) This is a big job. You should really contact someone in your local area, for accountability purposes anyway.

...

Given the diversified nature of my practice, tax, investment advisory, qualified plan design and analysis,and business & strategic planning, these various parts converge at the end of, and beginning of, (December/January) the calendar to keep my plate very full with my business owner clients.

...

So sorry.

...

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

P.S. if you hear anything about where the 6166 question came from, I'd appreciate a heads-up. I answer THAT question thoroughly and accurately ... would like to be sure that the customer gets it.

...

Thanks again,

Lane

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand...Are there any other pros with form 3115 experience you can pass this to?? If not, no problem...
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

a pretty diverse group here ... I'll send a message to the person that I think could best do it.... Won't mention name yet as he/she may not be able to ... I'll send them a link to this question, so that they can respond.

Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

OK, PDTax got back to me and said he could help ... I'm going to opt out so he can pick up

...

Lane

Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Thanks to Lane for asking me to step in. I'm PDtax.

I understand you need a 3115, I assume for cash to accrual.

Please confirm.

Once I know what you need and the deadline, I can price the project.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, just getting back in the office. We have a cash basis calendar S corp that has breached the $10m average over the last 3 yrs in sales. So we will file the 2016 tax return on the accrual basis. I started looking at the 3115 form. I understand a copy will get attached to the S corp 1120s and another copy go to a different IRS office. We will use DCN 123. I have drafted out the tax return but am stuck on the 481 adjustment calculation and any explanations that need to be attached to the return. I understand the client can pay the tax over 4 yrs. The area I need help on is the 481 calculation and how it will integrate to the 2016 form 1120s (ie, how is it reported on the 1120S???) We can provide you with the 3115 draft and the 12/31/15 accrual basis balance sheet ( books are accrual tax return is cash basis).. Since the form seems to deal with 2015 numbers, I would rather complete the task now rather than wait till tax season gets crazy...Your thoughts????
Expert:  PDtax replied 4 months ago.

I think I understand what you are looking for, but suggest we talk to clarify some things.

I'll post an offer for a phone call to discuss things. Accepting allows us to outline what you want and when, price and establish private communications.

I'll be back in office this afternoon (EST), if that works for you to discuss things.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am in the office until 2pm today and after 10am tomorrow. Kindly call me at your convenience thank you *****(###) ###-####