Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I inherited a house in a trust that i am now selling. Value

Customer Question

i inherited a house in a trust that i am now selling. Value of house at time of death was 665,000 I am selling for 780,000. i understand 115,000 is the basis can i also deduct relator fees and recent improvement expenses done to sell the house?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: the house is in a trust
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I would be happy to help you with your questions.

At the time of death or 6 month after you would receive a step up in basis to the $665,000. Any improvements that you made on the property would add to this basis. You would be able to deduct any closing costs (relator commissions, etc.). The net result would be the gain. So in your example the $115,000 would be reduced by both improvements and selling costs.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.