Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I am considering taking a job as an apartment manager, I

Customer Question

I am considering taking a job as an apartment manager, I would be required to live on site, do you know the IRS rules for CA regarding paying taxes on free rent?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is***** would be happy to help you with your questions.

Hi Carol, generally housing provided by your employer would be taxable but there are exceptions. I believe that you qualify for the exception. Let me tell you why.

The lodging must meet the following requirements: It is provided for the convenience of the employer, It is required as a condition of employment and It is furnished on the business premises of the employer. Based on this, the cost of the apartment would not be included as income.

Here is an article that details taxable and non-taxable employee provided housing.

http://www.mossadams.com/articles/2014/october/employer-provided-housing

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today