emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I claimed exempt on my w4 at work. i realized i need to

Customer Question

i claimed exempt on my w4 at work. i realized i need to change it back. i keep turning in revised w4 but no federal tax is being taking out but my check stub says married with 2 dependents. what do i do to get the change made. i've submitted several new w4
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You are probably claiming too many allowances. To have more taxes taken out of your paycheck you need to reduce your allowances to one or 2 OR on line 6 put how much you want to withheld from each check.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you aren't answering my question. i claimed exempt on w4. turned it in at work. no federal withheld. shortly after i turned in a new w4 with married and 2. my check stub states that but i continue to NOT have any federal taken out. so i keep turning in new w4. still no change. how do i get this change so that i don't owe a bunch of tax at the end of this year?

You need to turn in a new w4 and reduce number of allowances. The reason why no taxes are taken out of your paycheck is because your income is to low to have any tax liability if you claim married and 2 dependents. The more allowances you claim, the less tax is withheld from your paycheck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I keep turning in new w4. i make 6400.00 a month. so you are saying married and 2 is high? so should i claim married and 0?

The w4 is used to tell your employer how much tax to withheld. The payroll department is using payroll tables to determine how much to withhold. If you spouse is not working, you will be looking at about $4300 in tax (assuming both of your children are under 16). How many allowances do you claim? You shouldn't claim more than 4 if your spouse is not working but if nothing had been withheld for over 6 month I would claim married 1.

You need $700 taken out from your paycheck each month until end to cover your liability.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my spouse is on disability and gets ssa. last year was first time being married and filing joint. our daughter is 11. this exempt started sometime in feb. and ive been trying to fix it since. so you are saying claim married and 1? but if im claiming married and 2 will that start them taking money out? i don't want to owe money.

How many did you claim on your last w4?

Is your wife collecting social security disability? With your income - 76800 per year - 85% of her disability will be taxable.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
single 7
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that was right before filing exempt.
then after exempt i filed on w4 married and 2
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my wife is on SSA which before we were married was non taxable.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
with bonus and wages i at the end of the year make about 90k

Well, that's the reason why no taxes are taken out of your paycheck. If I claim 5 dependents plus your spouse and you, you liability would be $500. Yes, I would start with married and 1.

Your wife's social security will be taxable because of your income, 85% of it will be included in your joint income, to be exact.

I would suggest you spouse have at 15% taken out of her SS check as well.

Do you know how much of your wife get?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
social security disability, SSA to be exact does not take out taxes from her money. but at any rate. because i was claiming married and 2 my job was not taking any federal taxes. do you believe that me changing it to married and 1 they will start taking money out? will it be enough?
my wife gets 1146.00 per month

Yes, with your income and married 1 your employer should be taking taxes from your paycheck. According to the online payroll calculator claiming married and 1, at 6400 per month, your employer should take out 725 every month in federal taxes. This is under assumption that you don't have any pre tax deduction like contributions to 401K, medical or other fringe benefits, and 6400 are your taxable wages.

Your bonus will be taxes flat 25%, regardless what you claim on your w4.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my bonus is about 10k to 13k once a year and i've calculated tax rate after i get it and they tax it at about 42 percent because if i get 10k i only bring home net about 5500.00.and i guess i still do not understand why NO tax is being taken with married and 2 but married and 1 it will.yess i do have money taken for 401k that is pretaxed
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i have 6 percent for my 401k

Supplemental wages like bonuses are taxed at 25%. That's the federal income tax. The rest are social security, Medicare and state/local taxes. Yes, it is possible if you combine all taxes together, it will come to 42%.

If I claim married and 2 and account for the 401k, you should still have about 620 taken out for federal taxes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well for months now it is showing 0 taxes for federal and i don't know how to stop that so money is coming out. i don't know how this got so messed up after i did that exempt for feb. it's been a mess since. i don't want to owe at the end of the year for federal as now being married i still don't know how that will effect the taxes over all and i won't have money to pay

If you claimed married and 2 and nothing had been withheld than the problem is with your processing department and giving them another W4 will probably not fix it. What is says on your last paystub? Married and 2?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
married and 2

It can take up to two payroll cycle to change it but if it is married, you should have had taxes withheld. They may have updated the married status and number of allowances but didn't remove the exempt status that's override everything.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's been since end of feb. so how do i fix it?

You have to go directly to you HR or payroll, and tell them to check the software and update it. You may also need to send an estimated payment, 4 - 5k before the end of the year to make up for the loss.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i have no money to send. so then ill owe a lot?

What's probably happening the payroll department haven't removed the exempt status. So it doesn't matter what you claim on w4 it will default to the exempt. You can also request to have little extra taken out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how do i have a little extra taken out?

Put it on line 6 on your new W4. Claim married and 1 and talk o payroll or HR manager.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok

Anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no thank you

Starting page 44 you have payroll tables. You can print them and show them how much they should be withholding:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.