Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have some rental properties in baltimore city. My mortgage

Customer Question

I have some rental properties in baltimore city. My mortgage bill is going from 500 to over 800 because the water department put a lien on the property (there bills have been in error for sometime - they overcharge/make up charges just to bring in tax revenue). Now the mortgage company wants to increase my total payment to over 800 because they paid over 3,600 out of the escrow. What are my options. I do not plan to start paying over 800 a month for the property I have. I do not have that type of money and it's based on bills that are not valid.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 4 months ago.

You'll have to bring legal actiion aginst the city and the water department, to show that the bills are not accurate.

...

You should also name your mortgage company in the action.

...

Be sure that you do not name the City directly, (they will use sovreign immunity to have the cas thrown out on a technicality).

...

Name the agencies' responsible persons (director, commissioner, mayor, etc).

...

This will get them to the negotiating table.