Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

Senior Pastor's wife has a sudden critical illness. Can the

Customer Question

Senior Pastor's wife has a sudden critical illness. Can the church collect a benevolence offering to give to family for expenses and it not be part of his W2? If yes, how does that work? Also, can the gifter claim a deduction for the donation?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: That's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I am a CPA. I will be happy to help you with your question. Yes, the church can collect an offering. The people making the donation to the church would receive a charitable donation.

Unfortunately, the amount would need to be included in the pastor's compensation.