Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

FOREIGN EARNED INCOME Began working in UAE 10/4/2015. Last

Customer Question

FOREIGN EARNED INCOME Began working in UAE 10/4/2015. Last day working in UAE will be 12/5/2016. As of right now, if they DO NOT count our cruise to the Caribbean, he will have only worked in UAE 329 days. The IRS requires 330. Everything we read says the cruise counts as NOT being in the United States. If this is true, we are fine. Our ports of call were Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk.Began working in UAE 10/4/2015. Last day in UAE will be 12/5/2016. If cruise DOES NOT count will have worked in UAE 329 days. The IRS requires 330. Will cruise count?Will 8 day cruise count towards not being in the United States and being in foreign waters and foreign soil (Curacao 8 hours, Aruba 8 hours back to back then Grand Turk 8 hours)?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

As you'll see here, https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-physical-presence-test

...

" You can count days you spent abroad for any reason. You do not have to be in aforeign country only for employment purposes."

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.