Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

I got a 1099C for #22,000 in unsecured credit card debt that

Customer Question

I got a 1099C for #22,000 in unsecured credit card debt that I stopped paying on 6 years ago. . I am suppose to declare it as income for 2015, which means a tax bill for an extra 6500. My I have no savings, 401Ks, or any other asset besides the equity in my house. This however does exceed 22,000, which means, as I understand it, that I can't be considered "insolvent". However, the only way I can pay the 6500 is to sell or refinance my house. What should I do?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I haven
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

If you cannot claim insolvency you will have to include it in your taxable income. You can request installment agreement. As long as you filed all required returns and the debt is less than 50K you may be instantly approved.

You can spread the payments over up to 5 years or about $120 per month.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?