Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My 87 yr old mother is receiving an inheritance of money

Customer Question

Hi. My 87 yr old mother is receiving an inheritance of money from her uncle. When she received the money, she wants to split it 7 ways, 1 share for her and a share for each of us six kids. We are in Wisconsin. Total $260,000. If she paid a check to each of us kids, would we have to pay inheritance/gift tax?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Hello

The gift to each of you is not taxable. Your mother would need to report using form 709 if she gives any one person more than $14000 but she would not be taxed as long as she has not used up all her lifetime allowed gifts ($5.45 Mil).

The receiver does not pay tax when a gift is made to them.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded