Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

House is sold in the last couple of months. It was a primary

Customer Question

House is sold in the last couple of months. It was a primary personal residence for a single person never married during time house was owned. Sold for 280K purchased for 211K nine years earlier. After realtor fees and help with buyers closing costs ended up with approximately 257K. Lived in it two of the last five years. Would like to down size looking at purchasing for cash a house for 120k. Looks like gain will not be taxed, what things need to be considered at this time?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi Ken. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Standing by...
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

You are correct. There would be no tax on the sale since this would qualify as your principal residence. Since this has been your principal residence, under Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code you can exclude up to $250,000 of gain from the sale of your principal residence. Thus, since your gain did not exceed $250,000, all your gain would be excluded from income under Section 121. This is a link to that Code section: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/121. But, you will need to report the sale on Schedule D and Form 8949 to be attached to the Form 1040 because unless you report the sale, the IRS presumes the basis is zero and treats the entire proceeds as gain.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His advice good. However it would have been better if your system would allow a follow on question, in writing, instead of only a phone call option.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

I'll be happy to help you with a follow up on this thread.