emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

Client's dependent son files tax return. Mom claims son and

Customer Question

Client's dependent son files tax return. Mom claims son and has for the first four months of 2015 health insurance thru market place. IRS is requesting a form 8962 for dependent son. Son was covered by mom. Why would IRS need son to complete form 8962
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: not sure what else you may need to know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Because the son and the mother shared the policy and filed two separate return, credit has to be allocated. Both of them will need to file 862 and allocate the credit in part IV. You can allocate the entire policy to the mother (premium and the credit) so their returns will not change but you will have to file 8962 for both.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.