Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

My wife & I are both over 60 - we want to close out our

Customer Question

My wife & I are both over 60 - we want to close out our 401k's to by a trailer - whatis the tax liability - the amount would be about 70,000
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: a mobile home
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I just need to know the tax liability - all the money belongs to us
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

The $70,000 will be added to your other income and taxed at the rate for your filing status.

If the $70000 was your only income for the year then the tax would be $6,490. That is joint filing with standard deduction.

The 401k is not taxed differently than your regular income. If you receive SS then some of that would be taxable because of the $70,000.

As you are each over 59 1/2 there would be no additional penalty for an early withdrawal.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded