PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.

My husband back in 2014 owed a lot of taxes to the us govt.

Customer Question

My husband back in 2014 owed a lot of taxes to the us govt. they placed a lien on our condo (his name was on the deed) but in Kansas it doesn't matter it is a marital asset. Needless to say, I began the process of divorce. The condo was foreclosed and there were 110,000 in surplus funds. The govt said they were entitled to all of it. My attorney was disbarred in Kansas who was handling this. Now, my case will be revisited in the Kansas courts. As he stated no real estate was involved in my divorce decree. I didn't want to lose my interest in my Florida condo and I believe that I am entitled to half the surplus after foreclosure as I also was the owner and had no tax liability. No lien was placed in my name on the condo. I had a lis pendens on the property to try to protect my interests but was removed under false pretenses. After dealing with the irs and a disbarred lawyer, I no longer no the truth or what I should do in the Kansas courts at this point. My divorce decree went through without my consent.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 3 months ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I can assist.

I believe you have rights in the condo, and that you should not have to surrender your equity for your ex's tax debt.

There are a number of factors that you should review with a tax pro you can work with in your area. I can and will assist with information.

For example, were the tax debts from time before you were married, or after? And how did you file all of those years?

Expert:  PDtax replied 3 months ago.

Your interest in the out of state property should be available to you and protected from IRS pursuit. You may need a tax attorney to pursue your refund.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Please rate the response if I have covered things for you. I'mCustomer