Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I tried to start a truck company and it failed. I sold the

Customer Question

I tried to start a truck company and it failed. I sold the truck on ebay and a guy gave me 12000 cash. His address on Ebay is in Mexico without a street No. Do I have to fill out an 8300 form. I can't get his ss or ein no.s. I made the mistake of depositing the 12000 in the bank
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

No. This is a private part car sale.

...

If selling car WERE you business, then yuo'd have to complete the 8300.

...

The bank may want s form for a cash deposit of 10,000+, but you should list the sale as a private party sale.

...

Not the name of the form; "Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business"

...

Selling trucks is not your trade or business.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

You can see this here, in IRS Publication 1544:

...

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p1544/ar02.html

...

From there: "However, you do not have to file Form 8300 if the transaction is not related to your trade or business. For example, if you own a jewelry store and sell your personal automobile for more than $10,000 in cash, you would not submit a Form 8300 for that transaction."

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5 star thank you. ***** Big relief. Thank you
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane