Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If my real estate LLC sells property and I 't accept the

Customer Question

If my real estate LLC sells property and I don't accept the distribution until next year, do I have a tax liability this year?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

So sorry, yes.

...

All passthroughs - sole proprietorships, LLC's not taxed as C-Corps, and S-Corps - are taxed on profits and capital gains in the year the transactoin happens.

...

The other side of that same coin is that distributions are not taxed, becasue they were (or will be in the current year) taxed as profit.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

If you're a SINGLE member LLC, then you are what IRS calls a "disregarded entity," filing a schedule C for your income and expenses (just as a sole proprietor).

...

But the capital gains will be taxed on your personal schedule D, form 1040

...

The LLC still provides that corporate level liability protection and is considered a separate entity for YHAT purpose, at the state corporate and creditor law level.

...

But the LLC is ess entially you (for TAX purposes)

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986