Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have not received my 2015 MI and USA tax refund. Why?

Customer Question

I have not received my 2015 MI and USA tax refund. Why? William Harper
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Just Answer is NOT TurboTax, and it is not affiliated with TurboTax.

Could you please provide me with additional information to better assist you? When did you file your federal and MI state returns? Did you receive an email from TurboTax advising you that your returns were ACCEPTED by the IRS and MI?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I filed on 2\8\2016 and was informed by TurboTax that it was accepted and I printed off the tax return on the Form 1040A

Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

If your returns were ACCEPTED, the refunds are being processed. I know all of the states advised in the early part of the year that refunds would be delayed because of all of the fraudulent tax returns that are being filed.

As to federal, have you used the "Where's my Refund" option on www.IRS.gov ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the web site. I'll try it

Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

That's fine. Let me know what message you receive.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Barbara, I decided that Turbo Tax must not have got an answer from IRS, so I copied the Forms 1040A I received from Turbo Tax and sent them to IRS and Michigan. I requested that they let me know by postal service what fees I needed to pay. I suspect it will be an expensive mistake. William

Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

So when you used the "Where's My Refund?" tool on the IRS website, there was no information? If that is the case, it probably means that your tax returns either did not get transmitted OR were transmitted but then rejected for some reason. You can call TurboTax at 1-***-***-****, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Pacific time (11:00 am to 8:00 pm Eastern time). If you federal return was rejected, your MI state return would automatically be rejected.

If you are receiving a refund from the IRS and MI, there will be no penalty for late filing. You only receive a penalty when you file late and OWE money to the IRS and/or MI.

Hope that puts your mind at ease about this.

Best regards,

Barb