Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am curious to know that if I take out an inherited ira

Customer Question

I am curious to know that if I take out an inherited ira from a deceased parent, what would the tax fee be and can I pay before the end of the year? what would the 72t be on 19,700?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

...

The amount you withdraw will simply be added to your other taxable income for rhe year.

...

So the answer depends on your other income. For example, using the tax brackets for married filing jointly,

...

[Tax Rate Schedule Y-1, Internal Revenue Code section 1(a)]

• 10% on taxable income from $0 to $18,150, plus
  • 15% on taxable income over $18,150 to $73,800, plus
  • 25% on taxable income over $73,800 to $148,850, plus
  • 28% on taxable income over $148,850 to $226,850, plus
  • 33% on taxable income over $226,850 to $405,100, plus
  • 35% on taxable income over $405,100 to $457,600, plus
  • 39.6% on taxable income over $457,600.

...

You can see that if your taxable income were, say, at 50,000, some of the IRS would be taxed at 15% and some at 25%

...

Bear with me and I'll rund the 72t for you

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

(by the way, there is never the addtional 10% pre-age 59 and 1/2 tax penalty on inherited IRA's regardless of your age

....

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

The 72(t) Early Distribution Illustration helps you explore your options for taking IRA distributions before you reach 59½ without incurring the IRS 10% early distribution penalty. Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 72(t)(2)(A)(iv) defines these distributions as “Substantially Equal Periodic Payments”. The IRS has approved three ways to calculate your distribution amount: annuitization, amortization and required minimum distribution.

...

You may choose any of the three methods on which to base your distribution amount. To avoid the 10% penalty once you begin distributions, you must continue to take the required distribution using the same method, at least annually, for the longer of five years, or until age 59½.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Rate Table Used ......................Amortization......Annuitization RMD2

Maximum Initial Distribution $822 ........................$819 .............$576

*Both the Amortization and Annuitization distribution amounts remain level from year to year.
*The Required Minimum Distribution is recalculated annually, increasing the required distribution amount.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

The rules for an inherited IRA (for a non spouse beneficiary) are that you take out over your own life expectancy or within 5 years of date of death (specifically by dec 31st of the 5th year after death of the decedent).

...

So simply pulling out over five years may be a way (1) easily to stay compliant, and (2) taking out in small emough piecees that you are not pushed into another tax bracket for the year withdrawn

...

If you'll give me your age I can run the life expectancy distribution numbers.

...

And if you'll give me your other household income (and how you file - single - jointly) I can tell you the tax implication of simply withdrawing .

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

JustAnswer will not credit me for the work unless you do.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986