Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Our employer identification number church keeps coming up as

Customer Question

Our employer identification number for our church keeps coming up as not verified. We first obtained it in February 2009, but the last few months we have been having this issue.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Not sure if this is active.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

EIN numbers do not expire.

If you want to verify the number is ***** ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at(###) ###-#### ***** hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. A representative will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are a person who is authorized to receive it.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is the problem. I know how to do the verification. The challenge is that our EIN has disappeared. Which is not supposed to be possible.
Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Has your church's tax exempt status been revoked for some reason?

The following link contains excellent information you may find helpful:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/irs-identifies-organizations-that-have-lost-tax-exempt-status-announces-special-steps-to-help-revoked-organizations

Best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb