Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I need to amend my 2014 Tax Return. I have the TurboTax

Customer Question

I need to amend my 2014 Tax Return. I have the TurboTax disk for 2014, but I cannot get it to open (in order to recognize my 2014 Tax form) and allow me to amend my 2014 taxes.
Please help
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

First thing to check for is to see if you installed on this computer before. If not (or if it's been corrupted somehow) you may need to reinstall.

...

Next, I'll list someof the more common errors, and then we can go from there - I'll be here ... this is just to pay the foundation for further dicsussion if it's needed.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

To ensure TurboTax installs and runs successfully, please complete all of the following steps:

• Make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
  • Verify that you have administrator rights on your computer and TurboTax is Running as Administrator:
    • Right-click the TurboTax icon or setup icon, and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab, check the Run as Administrator box and click OK.
  • Check your TurboTax CD and computer's CD drive, if you're installing from the CD.
  • Clean up and defragment your hard drive.
  • Run Windows Update to keep your system up-to-date.
  • Update your system's hardware drivers.
  • Update your security software for firewall, virus, and spyware protection.
  • Close all browser windows and programs before installing.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

If you were able to successfully install TurboTax, but the program keeps crashing when you run it, without giving any error messages, close TurboTax and then try this:

• Download the latest Windows updates, especially if TurboTax was running fine before and only recently started acting up.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Now - Specific to windows 10 - here's a best answer from an intuit power user:

...

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

After noticing on the disk box the comment "Administrator rights required" I was able to install TTax on a Win 10 system using the following steps.
...
- Put the TTax disk into your disk drive . If the the install program starts or a window opens asking if the program has permission to make changes answer NO.
You want the disk to be in the drive but no programs running.
...
- Using "File Explorer" look to see what the drive letter is where the TTax disk is inserted.
...
- In the "Cortana" search bar, at the bottom left of the screen, type "CMD", w/o quotes, and while holding down both the Ctrl & Shift keys, press the Enter key. If a dialog box opens asking if this program is allowed to makes changes, choose YES. This will open the Administrator DOS command line window, which will be shown in the title bar of the window.
...
- In this window, at the end of the line "C:\Users\Owner > " with the blinking cursor, type the following, "D: setup" where D represents the disk drive where your TTax disk is inserted.
You may have to change the letter D to match your disk drive's letter, determined in Step 2.
So, if your TTax disk drive letter is D, the line will be "C:\Users\Owner > D:setup" w/o the quotes.
FYI : is a colon
...
- Press Enter and the TTax installer will start. Again you will be asked if you want the program to make changes and again answer YES. Once you agree to the terms, the progress bar will appear in the next window. Be patient but you should be OK. Allow TTax to update and you are ready to go.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the typo above "Pay the foundation" was meant to be "LAY the foundation .. for a discussion)

...

Let me know if that last piece helped - this was a "best answer" for a user who had switched to Windows 10