Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN CLAIM MY GRANDCHILDREN. MY DAUGHTER

Customer Question

HELLO,I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN CLAIM MY GRANDCHILDREN. MY DAUGHTER AND GRANDCHILDREN RENTED A HOUSE RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO ME AN WE PAID THE RENT, WATER BILL, AND ELECTRIC BILL AND BOUGHT FOOD FOR THEM. CAN I CLAIM THIS ON MY TAXES THIS YEAR
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

I'm so sorry, but likely not.

...

here are the qualifying child rules

...

Relationship

• Your son, daughter, adopted child1, stepchild, foster child2 or a descendent of any of them such as your grandchild
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, step brother, step sister or a descendant of any of them such as a niece or nephew

Age

• At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) and younger than 19
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) younger than 24 and a full-time student
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was any age and permanently and totally disabled3

Residency

• Child must live with you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) in the United States4 for more than half of the year

Joint Return

• The child cannot file a joint return for the tax year unless the child and the child's spouse did not have a separate filing requirement and filed the joint return only to claim a refund.

IMPORTANT: Only one person can claim the same child. If a child qualifies for more than one person and one of the persons is a parent or parents, the non-parent can claim the child only if their AGI is higher than the parent(s). If the child qualifies another relative and the parent AGI rules do not apply, the taxpayers choose. If more than one person claims the same child, IRS applies the tiebreaker rules

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

The likely problem is that they did not live with you.

...

The seond POSSIBLE problem is that last statement above:

...

" Only one person can claim the same child. If a child qualifies for more than one person and one of the persons is a parent or parents, the non-parent can claim the child only if their AGI is higher than the parent(s). If the child qualifies another relative and the parent AGI rules do not apply, the taxpayers choose. If more than one person claims the same child, IRS applies the tiebreaker rules"

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here.

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.