Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am treasurer of a 501c(6) corporation. The overall name

Customer Question

I am treasurer of a 501c(6) corporation. The overall name has been changed from USLBA to BOWLS USA. We belong to the SE Division and need to change the name from USLBA to BOWLS USA - SE Division. Our EIN is 86-1167206. I need to change the name so I can apply for a new fictitious name and number. This would then enable the SE Division to have a new account under the correct name.
Where can I get the form to complete this task? I have a copy of the articles of Amendment to effect the name change.
Help Janice Kline, Leesburg Florida
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

An exempt organization that has changed its name must report the change on its next annual return (such as Form 990 or 990-EZ). An organization that does not file an annual return (for example, an organization that instead files Form 990-N, the e-Postcard), or an organization that is required to e-File its return, may report the change of name by letter or fax (not by phone) to Customer Account Services.

Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

The particular supporting documentation required to report a change of name depends on the type of organization.

Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

Specifically - If Your Organization Is Incorporated - The Request Must Include A copy of the amendment to the Articles of Incorporation, and proof of filing with the appropriate state authority.

The letter or fax reporting the change of name must include your organization’s

• full name (both the prior name and the new name)
  • Employer Identification Number and
  • authorized signature (an officer or trustee)

The individual signing the letter must state the capacity in which he or she is signing (for example, “***** *****, President”).

Let me know if that answered your question?