Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I recently purchsed a vehicle and paid 12,000 cash. I

Customer Question

I recently purchsed a vehicle and paid 12,000 cash. I received a 8033 form stating purchase is reported to irs. The money was given to me, not earned by me. Do i need to add this as income on my taxes?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: 8300 form, sorry
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

...

No. Not at all.

...

Gifts are completely excluded from income tax under Internal Revenue Code §102.

...

These reports of purchases of over 10,000 in cash came about as part of the patriot act and are designed to prevent money laundering.

...

This is the last you'll hear of it ... very common these days.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I receive no crediting for the work here until you rate

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice since 1986