rakhi.v, Tax Attorney
Experience:  Have graduated in Law with specialization & emphasis in Financial Laws and has working experience of over a decade.

I received a t4rsp from my dead husband which was

Customer Question

I received a t4rsp from my dead husband which was transferred as my RRSP. I know I claim this amount on line 129 this makes it look like I had a Hugh income. Where can I or what line can I off set this to bring my total income down. There must be a line I can put this amount as a deduction.
Category: Tax
Expert:  rakhi.v replied 4 months ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

Once you receive T4RSP Slip, the transferred amount will be shown in box 18 of the slip. This amount has to be reported on line 129 of the spouse's or common-law partner's income tax and benefit return for the year the transfer was made. The spouse or common-law partner will receive a receipt for the amount that was transferred.

Now coming to the issue of claiming deduction. There is no line you on which you can claim a transfer. However, once your put this amount on line 129, you will have to claim deduction as well. You can claim it by transferring it to an RRSP, PRPP, SPP or RRIF or buy an eligible Annuity. Please refer the below link.

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,