Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

I would like to know what an IRS letter 12C requires in

Customer Question

I would like to know what an IRS letter 12C requires in regard to form 82823. The letter seemed to be very vague as to what it wanted.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Usually, the IRS explains what information they need from you and why they need it.

Is there any way you can attach a copy of the IRS letter 12C so I can review it?

Best regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My 2015 non cash charitable deduction was less than $5,000, about $4,800. My wife and I purged a bunch of clothes and furniture that collected over 10 to 15 years. Therefore, with my 2015 return "I thought" I had included form 8283 with these contributions listed. Where the letter explains what is specifically needed, it said..."Form 8283 is incomplete or missing from your return. Complete the form with information that supports the $4,800 deduction listed on the line for non cash charitable contributions listed on Schedule A of the 2015 return." My wife called the IRS to ask what exactly do they need, was the return missing or was it incomplete? The letter is very ambiguous. From my understanding if the deduction is over $500 you must submit form 8283, but as long as it is under $5,000 you just fill out section A with the necessary information. That is what I did. The rep at the IRS put my wife on hold for 15 minutes, then came back and said we were missing the return. I called the IRS too, and the rep I spoke to said they couldn't see my return and couldn't tell me specifically what was needed. We want to respond to the IRS as quickly and accurately as possible. One person told me to never supply the IRS with anything more than they specifically request. So, going off the "best" detail my wife received from phoning the IRS, I simply faxed them a copy of the form 8283 I "thought" was included in my original return. My guess is either for some reason I forgot to submit it, or it got lost somewhere in the process. What I want to know is did I do what was required? I am really nervous about this.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I meant say we thought the 8283 form might have been missing from the original return I submitted, not the return itself.
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

I apologize for the delay in responding to you.

I live several miles from the horrific tragedy that occurred in Orlando, FL today. Give me a few minutes, and I will give you my best advice.

Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Form 8283 is required if the amount of your deduction for ALL noncash gifts is more than $500. Was Form 8283 not generated when you prepared your return or was it not included with your tax return?

The IRS has told your wife that Form 8283 was missing.

By completing and faxing Form 8283 to the IRS, you have done what is required. If the IRS needs additional information/proof, they will contact you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Barbara, I took a picture of the main letter they sent me. Could you please read it and tell me your interpretation? Did I do the right thing by resending the form?? I thought the letter 12c was sent for simple item like missing forms or signatures. What does you think?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What does your expertise tell you?
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for sending a copy of the first page of the IRS Letter 12C.

The IRS simply wants a copy of Form 8283 to support your non-cash charitable deduction.

Sending them the missing form was the correct thing to do.

As I mentioned, if the IRS needs additional information or clarification, they will contact you.

Best regards,