Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

I am an Indian citizen and resident and have a C-Corp

Customer Question

Hello. I am an Indian citizen and resident and have a C-Corp registered in Delaware doing business in US. I was in US for less than 183 days in 2015 and will be the same in 2016. I want to transfer a few shares to my friends in India, and will not be taking money from them. However the shares hold a large monetary value as we had raised investments in the company.
Will I have to pay capital gains or any other tax in US? Should I file anything?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you transfer the shares for less than their value (no monetary gain), there is no tax implication in the US.

As to recordkeeping,

You should already have a stock ledger in place to record the stock certificates that have already been issued (certificate number, share amount, name of recipient, and date of issuance. You will record any subsequent transfers and cancellations in the same manner.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to further assist you.

Best regards,