Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Robin, My taxes where filed electronically by my tax guy. I

Customer Question

Hi Robin,
My taxes where filed electronically by my tax guy. I received a form 3531 in the mail asking for my signature, w-2's, and schedule A for itemized deductions. My return was accepted electronically. Why would the be asking for this information?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Form 3531 is simply an IRS non-assessment notice for the IRS to complete the processing of your tax return. If you are anticipating a refund, then you simply need to sign the return and date it as the signature date to meet the requirements asked for in Box 1.

There are generally no penalties for these types of notices because the IRS is just trying to clarify your tax situation before processing. IRS non-assessment notices concern minor errors, for example:

• No signature
• W-2 or 1099's not attached to return
• Form or schedule omitted
• No indication of filing status

If you get a non-assessment notice, simply attach the information or forgotten form, write across the notice "info attached" and send it back to the IRS.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I actually had to pay $854. The IRS already cashed my check. If the electronic filing was accepted do I need to send them this requested info?
Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Yes. Send them the requested info.

For whatever reason, the IRS is requesting this info from you. Perhaps the electronic filing copies were not legible at the IRS end.

Of course, you can call the IRS at the number on their letter and ask for a detailed explanation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ive tried calling for a few days and can't get a human on the phone.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
any suggestions
Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

You can ask your tax preparer to call the IRS. Tax preparers have a special number with less hold times.

Expert:  Barbara replied 5 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to further assist you.

Best regards,

Barb