emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

As a Adjunct Professor not getting benefits can I deduct

Customer Question

As a Adjunct Professor not getting benefits can I deduct expenses from my income, even though I receive a W2?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What kind of expenses do you have in mind?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Computer, Health Insurance, Milage

Ok. Do you use your own computer for work? If yes, you can deduct the business use percentage of internet connection or any upgrades required for work.

Health insurance, if you pay your own heath insurance (not through an employer sponsored plan), you can deduct it as medical expense on Schedule A.

Mileage, if you drive for work outside the regular commuting (from home to work and back) you can deduct the additional mileage.

In order to benefit from the deduction, you will have to itemize your deductions and only amount over 2% of your AGI is deductible. The employee business expenses are also known as 2106 expenses (reported on form 2106)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I only am on site to teach, each class I do is by a specific contract. Expenses such as health insurance, computer expenses, and millage etc. would all be deductible if paid on 1099 form. The health insurance is not through any employer.

Yes, and no. The commuting rule also apply to self employed individuals. Which means unless you have a home offie that is used regularly and exclusively for business (your work from home most of the time), the trip to your work is nondeductible commuting. Only business portion of computer use is deductible, regardless how you get paid. If you were classified as independent contractor (1099) you could deduct your health insurance directly on 1040. But as an employee (W2) you have to deduct it on Schedule A.

The difference between W2 common employee and 1099 independent contractor is in control and how the work is performed, not if you receive any benefits or not.

If you were paid as contractor (1099) you could deduct your expenses without any limitation, but your income would be subject to 15.3% of self employment tax in addition to income tax. As employee (W2) your deductions are limited but your income is only subject to income tax.

Most people cannot deduct their employee business related expenses because of the limitation. (2% AGI, 10% AGI for medical expenses, high standard deduction). Unless you travel a lot for business or work from home for the employer's convenience, you will probably not benefit from the deduction.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I live in Kansas I can not deduct health insurance from state income. At this point I have not learned anything new as the State of Kansas does not allow me to deduct much of anything unless I am considered self employed which I actually am. I have to go to an appointment so must stop the contact now.

You are not self-employed if you are being paid as employee (W2). That's something you will have to discuss with your employer. If you meet the requirements of self-employed independent contractor you should be compensated as such.

Here's the difference:

If you think you are misclassified, you need to talk to your employer.

Ok, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.