Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

How many years is a tax preparer required to keep your

Customer Question

How many years is a tax preparer required to keep your records?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Regulations require "A tax return preparer to retain the records described in §1.6695-2(b)(4)(i) for the period ending three years after the later of the date the tax return or claim for refund was due or the date it was transferred in final form by the tax return preparer to the next person in the course of the filing process. In the case of a signing tax return preparer who electronically files the tax return or claim for refund, the next step in the filing process will be to electronically file the tax return or claim for refund, so the relevant date is the date the tax return or claim for refund is filed. In the case of a signing tax return preparer who does not electronically file the tax return or claim for refund, the next person in the course of the filing process will be the taxpayer, so the relevant date is the date the tax return or claim for refund is presented to the taxpayer for signature. In the case of a nonsigning tax return preparer, the next person in the course of the filing process will be the signing tax return preparer, so the relevant date is the date the nonsigning tax return preparer submitted to the signing tax return preparer that portion of the tax return or claim for refund for which the nonsigning tax return preparer was responsible."

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2012-11_IRB/ar09.html

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to further assist you.

Best regards,

Barb