Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I paid a tax prepare to look at and amend my taxes last 3

Customer Question

I paid a tax prepare to look at and amend my taxes for the last 3 years. She did so and charged me a fee for each amended tax return. I received a qustion packet from the IRS for all 3 and I cant get her to respond to my calls, text or emails. Is there any legal action I can exercise to a minimum get y 300.00 back?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unless the fee includes more than just return preparation, than no. Unless you can proof that there's something wrong with the returns she doesn't have any legal obligations to return your fees. Receiving a request for additional information doesn't mean that the return is wrong. It is not uncommon that the IRS request additional information before accepting your amended return, expecially if the change includes certain credits, filing status or claiming more dependents.

It is also possible that her office is seasonal (Jan - Apr) and she is simply not at the office every day.

Unlike lawyers or some accountants, most preparers will help you with follow up questions or paperwork for IRS without charging you additional fees, as long as you are not threatening him/her with legal action.

If you believe, that she prepared an incorrect return, I would first talk to the office manager or supervisor, find out about return policy. But most prepares will not refund your fees just because the IRS is requesting supporting documents.

Sorry, if you hopped otherwise.

-

Any questions?