Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

My family lives in California and I work in Philadelphia. I

Customer Question

My family lives in California and I work in Philadelphia. I also have an apartment in Philly. I pay city wage tax in Philly. What is the recommendation on what I state I should claim as my primary residence??
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your primary residence is where you establish your domicile. It is where you are registered to vote, where you register your vehicle, purchase a resident, relocate your family, get that state's driver's license or register your children for school.

Your residence for tax purposes is where you work. You can have primary residence in CA and be resident of PA for tax purposes. If you work in PA but your family is in CA and you are CA resident, you will file CA resident return and PA nonresident return.

PA is more tax friendly unless you live in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh where you have to pay city taxes. On the other hand you will have to convince CA FTB that you change your residency and left CA and establish residency in other state.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?