emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I know the IRS can garnish IRA's, can state tax authorities

Customer Question

I know the IRS can garnish IRA's, can state tax authorities or property tax authorities garnish IRA's in the state of Ohio
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no researching on my own
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: If I owe back taxes on rental and business properties can my spouses IRA be garnished
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: If I owe back federal and state taxes on the business and my spouse is the president of the S corp (in name only), can her IRA be garnished
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

While creditors, except IRS, cannot touch your ERISA type accounts (401Ks and other employer sponsored plans), they can garnish her IRA. The state can also garnish your wages, put a lien on your residence, levy your bank account and or take your business.

Any questions?

If you also owe a city you live in or the business is located in, you may have issue with DMW and may not be able to renew you driver's license or car tags.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.