Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am an 89 year old widower with a severe balance problem. I

Customer Question

I am an 89 year old widower with a severe balance problem. I use a walker 100% of the time when on my feet. Having fallen a number of times I finally decided, with the advice of my family physician, to sell my home and move into an assisted living facility. This facility has a registered nurse (RN) on duty during the day and several nursing assistants on duty 24/7. My rent is $4000 per month ($540 for food and $3460 for "assisted living". My question is: How much, if any, of the above expense is Federal Tax deductible medical expense?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

...

In order for assisted living expenses to be tax deductible, the resident must be considered "chronically ill." This means a doctor or nurse has certified that the resident either:

...

• cannot perform at least two activities of daily living, such as eating, toileting, transferring, bath, dressing, or continence; or
  • requires supervision due to a cognitive impairment (such as Alzheimer's disease or another form of dementia).

...

In addition, to qualify for the deduction, personal care services must be provided according to a plan of care prescribed by a licensed health care provider.

...

So it's critical here that you try to document that you need help with at least two ... and this may be difficult, fro what you've said.

...

The activities of daily living are feeding, toileting, selecting proper attire, grooming, maintaining continence, putting on clothes, Bathing, walking and transferring (such as moving from bed to wheelchair).

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

The good news here is that residents who are not chronically ill may still deduct the portion of their expenses that are attributable to medical care, including entrance or initiation fees. The assisted living facility is responsible for providing residents with information as to what portion of fees is attributable to medical costs.

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the smile or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit”)

I receive no crediting at all unless you rate in this way.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law), an MBA, (specialization in finance & tax), as well as CFP and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Did you see my answer?

...

Do you have question?

...

Let me know

..

i'll be here

...

Lane