Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Can the IRS pull money out of my account if my x-husband

Customer Question

Can the IRS pull money out of my account if my x-husband owes them. we have been divorced for 10 years.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

If that is your husband's tax debt - you are NOT responsible - and your assets may NOT be garnished to satisfy that tax debt.

However - any JOINTLY owned assets may be garnished.

Please be aware if that is tax debt from jointly filed tax return - you both are liable.

Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

Many married taxpayers choose to file a joint tax return because of certain benefits this filing status allows them. When filing jointly, both taxpayers are jointly and severally liable for the tax and any additions to tax, interest, or penalties that arise from the joint return even if they later divorce. Joint and several liability means that each taxpayer is legally responsible for the entire liability. Thus, both spouses on a married filing jointly return are generally held responsible for all the tax due even if one spouse earned all the income or claimed improper deductions or credits. This is also true even if a divorce decree states that a former spouse will be responsible for any amounts due on previously filed joint returns. In some cases, however, a spouse can get relief from joint and several liability.

There are three types of relief from joint and several liability for spouses who filed joint returns:

1. Innocent Spouse Relief provides you relief from additional tax you owe if your spouse or former spouse failed to report income, reported income improperly or claimed improper deductions or credits.
  2. Separation of Liability Relief provides for the allocation of additional tax owed between you and your former spouse or your current spouse from whom you are separated when an item was not reported properly on a joint return. The tax allocated to you is the amount for which you are responsible.
  3. Equitable Relief may apply when you do not qualify for innocent spouse relief or separation of liability relief for something not reported properly on a joint return and generally attributable to your spouse. You may also qualify for equitable relief if the amount of tax reported is correct on your joint return but the tax was not paid with the return.