Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am a resident of Texas my employer is in oklahoma.. I

Customer Question

I am a resident of Texas my employer is in oklahoma.. I drive a big rig in the oil industry last year 6 months I worked in Texas and 6 months in oklahoma when I filed my taxes my employer didn't show half of the year I earned income while in Texas. My emoyer states they are based in oklahoma so I pay oklahoma taxes on all my income even while I wasn't in this state is that accurate
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure who to contact to get an inquiry done to insure my employer is accurately doing my withholding and reporting
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
That is correct - as a resident of Oklahoma - ALL your worldwide income is subject to income tax for that state.That is regardless if that income is earned in Oklahoma or somewhere else...See here - page 4https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/511Pkt-15.pdfAn Oklahoma resident individual is taxed on all income reported on the federal return, except income from real and tangible personal property located in another state, income from business activities in another state, or the gains/losses from the sales or exchange of real property in another state.Note: Residents are taxed on all income from non-business interest and dividends, salaries, commissions and other pay for personal services regardless of where earned. Wages earned outside of Oklahoma must be included in your Oklahoma return, and credit for taxes paid other states claimed on Oklahoma Form 511TX. (See Form 511, line 16)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe I mis spoke I am not a resident of Oklahoma I lived in my 18 wheeler all year but when I worked in Texas I went to my house on the weekends when I could in oklahoma I stayed in hotels sometimes but mainly in my yruck
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am aware that I am not a resident of Oklahoma therefore I am not required to pay taxes on money that was earned in Texas.. but my employer will not differentiate what money was made in Texas how do I make them clarify
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I applied at this company my home address has been in Livingston Texas
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
The location of your employer is NOT relevant - but what relevant - is your residency.However - you must determine your residency and may not just say that you are living in your track.An Oklahoma resident is a person domiciled in this state for the entire tax year. “Domicile” is the place established as a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home. It is the place you intend to return to whenever you are away (as on vacation abroad, business assignment, educational leave or military assignment). A domicile, once established, remains until a new one is adopted.So if you home is in Oklahoma - you are a resident there - UNLESS you establish your residency in any other state.How to proof your residency?(1) provide your driver's license? (2) your ownership of dwelling of lease contact (3) utility bills (4) others?Can you clearly verify WHERE is your residency and how you may proof that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
neither my driver's license my automobiles or my mailing address is in Oklahoma.. my home is texas
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
as a resident of Texas - you would be ONLY taxes in Oklahoma on income from Oklahoma sources.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
In this situation - your employer incorrectly accounting for your work in each state - and incorrectly report ALL your earning as from Oklahoma sources.You may request your employer to correct reporting.You may file a formal complain to the Department of Labor.Oklahoma Department of Labor 3017 N Stiles, Suite 100 Oklahoma City, OK 73105***@******.*** Local:(###) ###-####Toll Free:(###) ###-####Fax:(###) ###-####r you may sue your employer for damages.Let me know if you need any clarification or further help.