Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

My husband and I filed a joint extension taxes and sent it

Customer Question

My husband and I filed a joint extension for 2015 taxes and sent it in with a check for 2500 for federal taxes and 1000 for state taxes just as an approximate payment for what we may owe. In the meantime he has walked out on our marriage and has a long history of failing to pay the IRS. I make considerably less than he does (40k ) while he makes around 120 K. When I did an approximation of what I would owe in Fed taxes as married filing single it is only around 500.00 for my income. However, filing jointly, for federal alone, based on his income we owe 6,800 jointly as he claimed too many exemptions. I do not want to be responsible for his tax debt yet I sent in an extension check with both of our social security numbers on it. I just want to pay my own debt of 500.00 as married filing single and be free of worry. What to do ? Thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.While you cannot change the extension status itself, you can still change the filing status of your own tax return before filing. If you paid any taxes due with the extension the IRS recommends the following instructions for 2013 Form 4868: "If you and your spouse jointly file Form 4868 but later file separate returns for 2015, you can enter the total amount paid with Form 4868 on either of your separate returns OR you and your spouse can divide the payment in any agreed amounts."https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2568117-filed-an-extension-in-april-as-mfj-i-just-calculated-mfs-and-it-works-out-better-can-i-change-my-filing-status-after-an-extension-is-filedIn other words, you can apply $500 of the $2500 you paid with the extension when you file your own tax return as married filing separately.Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb