Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am a French citizen residing in the US and consequently

Customer Question

I am a French citizen residing in the US and consequently paying my taxes to the US IRS. The pensions I receive from France however are to be paid in France and are not taxable at the US federal level. States handle this differently and I want to know how is it for the State I live in which is Maryland. Thank you for your answer.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
HelloThe starting point of your Maryland return is the federal adjusted gross income. If your federal return does not include the income then your Maryland return would not either and you would not have to add that back into your Maryland income.Even when calculating the MD pension exclusion you only use your net taxable pension and retirement annuity included in your federal adjusted gross income.