Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

We live across the country and have farm property in

Customer Question

We live across the country and have farm property in California. I am the owner and we lease the farm to a local farmer. I would like to purchase a motorhome and leave it in California to live in and work out of in the next year. How much depreciation can I write of on the new purchase?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: We are presently in a partition action in order for the owners to separate the property.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.What do you mean live in and work out? What type of work do you do? Do you have a small business or do you have an employer?You can depreciate the motorhome if it is used in direct connection with your business activity, for instance the motorhome is rented out our qualify as business use of home. Using the motorhome as your living quarter while working in the area will not qualify as business expense even if the main purpose you being there is business related. If you stay in hotels or lease a motorhome while traveling for business and you can deduct the expenses, but you cannot deduct or depreciate your personal property you use during the business trips.