Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Require information on how to fill W7 details with I797A I

Customer Question

Require information on how to fill W7 details with I797A
I came to US on F-1 visa and have social security number, and my daughter's visa type is F-2. My daughter got a change of status approval (I797A) from F-2 to E-2 with expiry date as duration of stay (D/S). Her passport has only my old, expired F-2 visa stamped on it.
I would like to file for W7 form so as to apply for an ITIN number of my dependent.
My question is what do I fill in W7 form's 6c section that asks for visa type, visa number and expiration date? 1) Would it be fine to put Visa type as E-2, Visa number as I797A's receipt number and expiry date as D/S (from I797A)?
or 2) Would it be fine to put Visa type as F-2, and visa number and expiry date on visa.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
My question is what do I fill in W7 form's 6c section that asks for visa type, visa number and expiration date?Yes - you need to provide that information.Here is from instructions..Enter only U.S. nonimmigrant visa information. Includethe USCIS classification, number of the U.S. visa, and theexpiration date in month/day/year format. For example, if youhave an F-1/F-2 visa with the number 123456 that has anexpiration date of December 31, 2015, enter “F-1/F-2,” “123456,”and “12/31/2015” in the entry space..You need to provide her CURRENT visa.As her visa was changed to E2 - provide information about her current status.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
which information should be provided ? F2 or E2 ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually I read all instruction but it did not explain it for visa status change. I need the detailed information based on the experienced process on w7. thanks
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
which information should be provided ? F2 or E2 ?You need to provide her CURRENT visa.As her visa was changed to E2 - provide information about her current status.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would it be fine to put Visa number as I797A's receipt number and expiry date as D/S (from I797A) in W7 form's 6c section ?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
We are confusing between visa and petition.The one that you referring on form I797 is your petition, not your visa.There is NO visa number on form I797.I-797A, Notice of Action is issued to an applicant as a replacement Form I-94.receipt number on form I797 is not a visa number. Visa is the one that you get stamped in the passport by visiting a consulate. The questions clearly asks about the VISA on which the person entered the US.So look into your passport and answer accordingly.Use F2 and visa number from the stamp and expiration date form the passport.Sorry for confusion.