Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Our total income is 52,000 spouse is in a nursing home. My

Customer Question

Our total income is 52,000 spouse is in a nursing home. My co pay is 24,000 for the year is this a tax deduction . We live in Massachusetts
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.
HelloNursing home expenses are allowable as medical expenses in certain instances.If you, your spouse, or your dependent is in a nursing home and the primary reason for being there is for medical care, the entire cost including meals and lodging is a deductible medical expense.If the individual is in the home mainly for personal reasons, then only the cost of the actual medical care is a deductible medical expense, and the cost of the meals and lodging is not deductible.You would claim the cost you paid on Schedule A as a medical deduction.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.