Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

I filed with Turbo-Tax on-line a few weeks ago and was

Customer Question

I filed with Turbo-Tax on-line a few weeks ago and was issued a refund for which the IRS sent a letter to verify my identity. When I called them they informed me that I needed my W-4 form which I filed with you, however neglecting to make a copy. Is there any way we can resolve this matter over the computer?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. First, this is not Turbo Tax customer service. This a public forum. W4 is your withholding certificate you give to your employer when you start your job. You do not file it with your return or anybody else. Did IRS requested W2 by any chance. Employers are required to issue you 4 copies of w2. If you mailed one copy with your return, you should still have 2 or 3 left. You can also ask your employer to re-issue you another copy.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. So maybe it was A W-2. What now? They say I need the info from that copy to verify their questions.
Employer issued you 2 copies of W2. If you mailed one or two with your return, you should still have 2 copies. One should be for your records. You can still contact your employer to issue you another one.
If you filed your taxes online, there was no reason for you to file or mail your w2. Did you file your return on paper or did you e-file? Is it possible that IRS is actually asking about information on your 1040, not w2? IRS already has your W2 from your employer.