Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

How long do you have to keep records of your Federal Taxes

Customer Question

How long do you have to keep records of your Federal Taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Pursuant to the IRS (https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-long-should-i-keep-records): Keep records for 3 years if situations (4), (5), and (6) below do not apply to you.Keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, if you file a claim for credit or refund after you file your return.Keep records for 7 years if you file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction.Keep records for 6 years if you do not report income that you should report, and it is more than 25% of the gross income shown on your return.Keep records indefinitely if you do not file a return.Keep records indefinitely if you file a fraudulent return.Keep employment tax records for at least 4 years after the date that the tax becomes due or is paid, whichever is later.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!