USTaxAdvising, CPA
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.

I am a foreign national, I have a company in my home country.

Customer Question

I am a foreign national, I have a company in my home country. I opened a branch in the US - I am a sole proprietor of the LLC. I do not live in the US. I have a client in Florida who wants to pay me and is asking for a w9. I do not know how to fill it out.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 5 months ago.
Hello,If you are a foreign person with a US LLC then the US LLC will be what is known as a disregarded entity for US federal income tax purposes. Instead of completing and providing Form W-9 you would need to complete and provide Form W-8BEN. Here are the instructions - Form is fairly straightforward but let me know if you have any questions on it and I will get back to you as soon as I can.Best regards,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does that imply that my client will suffer higher taxes??? Will they lose money???
No your client would not lose any money and would still pay the amount you invoice. Since you are not engaged in a trade or business in the US there should be no withholding taxes applied on the payment made from your customer to yourself.
Your client would not suffer higher taxes as a result of paying you.