Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer: i was

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: i was an L1a visa holder and lived in the USA (NJ) from 2010 to 2011
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: then moved to Mexico working for the same company
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I am now being transferred to the USA again on an L1a visa
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i want to know if i need to file a tax return for 2013, 2014, and 2015, and if so, if it´s still time to do so
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
If you was a nonresident alien during these years 2013, 2014, and 2015 - and had NO income from US sources - you are not required to file any US tax returns.Please verify - (1) if you spent any number of days in the US during 2013, 2014, and 2015 and (2) if you had any income from US sources during that period.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you I was a non resident and only spent around 20 to 25 days in the USA each year on a holiday visa. I will check on income. In case I had income, do you have the services to help me file the returns? Am I still on time?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
As a nonresident alien - and you will need to verify your residency status separately for each year - you are taxed ONLY on income from US sources.There are some complex rules to determine the source of income. You may take a look - page 13 IRS publication 519 - Table 2-1. Summary of Source Rules of Nonresident Aliens.http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdfAs you see the factors in determination of the income source income.If for instance your income is from wages only - it is sourced where services were performed.I may help you and verify your calculations if needed - but I may not prepare your tax return - for that you would need a local tax preparer.Most likely - there is nothing for you to file - but to be precise - we need to verify.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
I just asked my company and they sent the attached three files. could you help me understand what is my best option? It´d be great if we could speak on the phone.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
These are W2 forms sent to employees who are resident aliens.AS you was a nonresident alien - based on number of days you spent in the US each of these years - your employer should NOT issue W2 forms.You need to communicate back to them - and ask for corrections.