Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I received a form 3531 with boxes 1 and 5 checked. The return

Customer Question

I received a form 3531 with boxes 1 and 5 checked. The return was signed and dated so I have no idea why box 1 was checked. The vague
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have no idea why box 5 was checked and don't know if a response to that is required
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I did not receive a refund. Is it possible I over paid my taxes ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Is there a spouse listed on the return? Did IRS provided any information what is missing? Is there any explanation for box 5? 3531 means that your return wasn't accepted because of missing information. That's the reason why you haven't received your refund yet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No spouse. Filled single and took standard deduction. I am not receiving a refund and in fact the payment I sent with return has already been cashed and the check returned to me. I go no additional info/explanation for box 5. Tried calling the IRS and their Rep did not help at all and in fact hung up on me.
Returns and payments are processed separately. It is not unusual that IRS cash the check and doesn't accept the return. Can you upload the notice so I can have a look? What the notice says the box 5 is for?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can not upload at this time. Box 5 states "Your return includes income or tax for more than one tax year. You must file a separate tax return for each tax year."
It means that you have included income from different year on your 2015 return. Check your original documents and make sure all are for 2015.
Are all the forms included with your return for the current year? Every form has to have a tax year.